Friday, 18 September 2009

First week back

Friday 18th September

Anyone watched the film ‘Blood Diamonds’? There’s a phrase in the film simply saying ‘This is Africa’ or for short TIA. No disrespect to our African nation but as soon as I arrived in Johannesburg – I felt the need to say ‘TIA’! I’d flown on Virgin Atlantic airline from London to Johannesburg. I was allowed 23kgs in baggage and most of what I was bringing back was equipment and supplies for the Ministry I worked for. I had 26kgs – Virgin Atlantic was fantastic and let me take the extra 3kgs with no questions asked. I present myself to check in for a flight from Joburg to Matsapha and they tell me the maximum baggage allowance is 20kgs, no exceptions I will have to pay the excess baggage, I explain I have many things inside my bag for the Orphans in Swaziland. I speak to a manager and she tells me those are the rules and there are no exceptions! I ‘m told to take my bag across to the ticket desk and pay the extra; I do so and then drag my bag back to the check in desk. TIA. No exceptions, stick to the rules at all costs, no decision making. It makes me really frustrated but hey this is Africa and I have to just accept it and get on with it.

Returning to Swaziland after having nearly 3 months in the UK is exciting, their winter has passed, usually only the months of July and August, the air is really warm and pleasant. My husband and I arrive in the village, so many things have changed, and The Dairy is all fenced in now, the grazing being prepared. I can see up at the top of the village the newest Orphan homes all lit up and obviously occupied by children, the large dining room is finished which was just a frame when I left. We make our way up the hill and as we advance slowly I begin to recognise familiar faces in my little swazi community.

The next day is spent unwinding, I dropped into my next door neighbours house, in the three months I have been away there must be over 7 new abandoned babies taken into their home. Babies that have been dumped into pit latrines, left at hospital, unwanted babies taken into my Neighbours house, being shown unconditional love and care, giving them everything to help replace the neglect these precious children have experienced. Unfortunately this is an everyday occurrence in this country. Babies are dumped – no responsibility taken for these little ones!

The senior nurse at the clinic has just resigned and will be leaving at the end of the month; well I have something to do now don’t I? We need to employ a new experienced nurse with midwifery as well, one who speaks Siswati and English - should be an interesting few weeks!! Managing a clinic in a ministry setting will be a quite an experience.

So this week has started to get interesting and I nearly got to walk listening to my daughter’s iPod but got totally distracted and that was it! not a lot of exercise this week.................... Until next time have a blessed week.

1 comment:

  1. MUM! Nearly got listening?!?
    This is a great blog by the way, I'm going to spread the word, so keep them coming.

    ReplyDelete