Saturday, 14 November 2009

Weather changable.

Friday 13th November
The weather is getting warmer, every morning the sun comes up and then it shines all morning, the usual pattern for the afternoon is rain, followed by thunder and lightning. That’s pretty regular, the roads suffer terribly this time of year, because every time we have a storm, it takes another bit of road away again. Getting to Piggs Peak is a pain as you never know what to expect, fortunately we have a 4 x 4 car so we can usually manage. The weather this evening is deteriorating and the power is dipping on and off, that mean no internet either so I won’t get to post this until tomorrow!
It’s been another busy week! It looks like we should get a date next week with the Magistrate in either Piggs peak or Mbabane to do the adoption. Our foster daughter is looking forward to being part of our family; and the family are looking forward to her joining us as our new daughter and sister.
Bulembu continues to be a challenge, healthcare is essential and yet there seems little interest in people wanting to donate and support this. There is a lot of promised money for orphan care, for businesses like the bakery, the honey and the dairy but no funds available for healthcare and the school. These two essential services are obviously dear to hubby and my heart as we are involved in them, so there seems to be a lot of hardship right now and a lot of choices we have to make trying to manage both the clinic and the school with little funding.
We are being stretched way beyond our comfort zones at the clinic, emergencies come in and working in a rural setting with no doctor is way beyond my abilities so I am learning a lot from my Canadian colleague being ER trained and very competent in this area, I am also learning how to manage the other 3 staff and becoming an expert at ordering medicines, diagnose many different conditions and communicate with the locals through translators as I still have absolutely no siSwati in my vocabulary. A real learning curve totally. What the future holds I have no idea, I have to take one day at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment